Saturday, April 30, 2011

Why the most important word in my world is "WHY"

This is the single best presentation of any kind, about any topic, that I have ever seen.





I wish I was a smart as this guy.  He somehow codified what the difference between successful and failed leadership and inspiration is, and I find that amazing all by itself.

I have been saying for years that the most important word in my world is "WHY."  "Why" has always been intuitive for me.

  • "Why" challenges the status quo 
  • "Why" is the single most important factor in leadership, while "what" and "how" are only important as management tools.
    • "Why" is to Strategy as "What" and "How" are to Tactics
    • "Why" is the question that always comes before every inspiring idea, invention or movement.
    • "Why" is the setup; "Because..." is the punch-line

    My favorite line from this Ted Talk is  

    "Martin Luther King Junior said 'I have a Dream' NOT 'I have a Plan.' "

    Note to entrepreneurs... If you want to impress me, answer all of the "why" questions.

    I had no idea that I was using this part of my brain (insert your own joke here) but I am glad to have found validation for having done so.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Darren Cox

    Darren Cox
    Founder and Chief Evangelist - CaSTT - Commerce and Search for Technology Transfer