I wish I was a smart as this guy. He somehow codified what the difference between successful and failed leadership and inspiration is, and I find that amazing all by itself.
I have been saying for years that the most important word in my world is "WHY." "Why" has always been intuitive for me.
- "Why" challenges the status quo
- "Why" is the single most important factor in leadership, while "what" and "how" are only important as management tools.
- "Why" is to Strategy as "What" and "How" are to Tactics
- "Why" is the question that always comes before every inspiring idea, invention or movement.
- "Why" is the setup; "Because..." is the punch-line
My favorite line from this Ted Talk is
"Martin Luther King Junior said 'I have a Dream' NOT 'I have a Plan.' "
Note to entrepreneurs... If you want to impress me, answer all of the "why" questions.
I had no idea that I was using this part of my brain (insert your own joke here) but I am glad to have found validation for having done so.